Useful Information


Dutch immigration procedures for academic visitor
Foreign students in The Netherlands
Foreign students who wish to study or do an internship in the Netherlands need to go through the Dutch immigration procedures. The same applies to guest lecturers, postdoctoral students, and researchers coming to the Netherlands for academic purposes. Depending on what you are going to do and for how long you are staying, you might need:
  • a short-stay visa (VKV)
  • an authorization for temporary stay (MVV)
  • a residence permit (VTV)
  • a working permit (TWV)

This section of the Nuffic website will help you to find out which procedures are important for you (

Foreign students in The Netherlands
Netherlands organisation for International Cooperation in Higher Education (NUFFIC)
Kortenaerkade 11
P.O. Box No.29777
2502 LT The Hague.
Tel:070-426 02 60
Fax:070-426 03 99