|P.O. Box 17100
3500 HG Utrecht
|Tel||:||030 - 216 33 46|
|Web||:||www.rabobankfoundation.nl / www.rabobankfoundation.com|
Rabobank Foundation's aim is to contribute to the humanisation of society, to alleviation of poverty and to an equitable distribution of welfare and prosperity. To this end the Foundation supports people at home and abroad in their efforts to attain independent status within society. In the Netherlands this is achieved by providing financial support to disadvantaged groups; the focus outside the Netherlands is on support for people who have no access to financial services. In India, Rabobank Foundation supports several medium and small institutions and NGOs in the field of microcredit.
Rabobank Foundation was established in 1973 under the name Stichting Steun door Rabobanken. Although the Foundation's work is kept low-profile, it is in fact a classic example of promoting the cooperative philosophy.. The Rabobank Group uses Rabobank Foundation as a channel through which to express its social and civil commitment.
Rabobank Foundation pursues its objectives by supporting cooperatives or member-based organisations which offer an opportunity to save, borrow or insure to their members. Target group members are typically low-income people in rural areas.
In India Rabobank foundation supported the following projects (non-exhaustive listing):
- Working Women's Forum, Chennai, Tamil Nadu, a large women's movement with a membership of over 300,000 poor women from city slums and backward rural areas: expansion of savings and microcreditprogramme
- The Concerned for Working Children, Bangalore, Karnataka, microinsurance (life products) under mutual self-managed system
- Ashadeep Human Development Centre, Vidyanagar, Anand, Gujarat; small-scale production of farina products
- Dhan Foundation, Madurai, Tamil Nadu; preparation and start of three-year mutual insurance programme in southern India serving 300,000 people, and a donation towards a preparatory workshop
- Socio-Economic Educational Development Society Vidyanagar, Eluru, West Godavari District, Andhra Pradesh; two pre-cooperatives for indigenous peoples for the production of leaf plates by women
- Friends of the Third World Foundation, Missionary HQ for the Abbey of Berne, Thiruvettriyur, Ramnad, Tamil Nadu; agricultural co-operative, irrigation project and fertiliser programme
- Foundation for Veterinary Medicine in Development Aid (SDO), Udhagamandalam Social Service Society; Udhagamandalam, Nilgiris District; dairy cattle as part of income-generating programme for groups of women
- READS, Balathonatapalli, Dharmapuri, Tamil Nadu; supplementary contribution for 230 savings and credit groups, in connection with over-payment in euros as compared to amount requested in Rupees
- Institute of Rural Credit & Entrepreneurship Development, Vishrambag, Sangli, Maharashtra; mobile grain banks
- Health Education and Economic Development Society, Chidambaram, Tamil Nadu; revolving fund for 10 village-based savings and credit groups; contribution from third party.
Photo's by courtsey of Rabobank Foundation.