Eligibility for PIO CardThe following are eligibility to apply for PIO Card:
- Who at any time held an Indian passport; or
- He/she or either of his/her parents or grandparents or great grandparents
was born in and permanently resident in India as defined in the Government
of India Act, 1935 and other territories that became part of India
thereafter provided neither was at any time a citizen of any country as may
be specified by the Central Government from time to time; or
- Who is a spouse of a citizen of India or a person of Indian origin as mentioned above.
Benefits available to a PIO Card HolderThe various benefits available to a PIO cardholders are:
- No visa required for visiting India during the period of validity of PIO Card.
- Exemption from the requirement of registration if stay in India does not exceed 6 months. Should the continuous stay exceed six months, registration will be required within 30 days of the expiry of six months with the concerned Foreigners Registration Officer. (Click Here For Registration Checklist)
- Parity with non-resident Indians in respect of facilities available to the latter in economic, financial and educational fields.
- All facilities in the matter of acquisition, holding, transfer and disposal of immovable properties in India except in matters relating to the acquisition of agricultural/plantation properties.
- Facilities available to children of NRIs for getting admission to educational institutions in India including medical colleges, engineering colleges, Institutes of Technology, Institutes of Management etc. under the general categories.
- Facilities available under the various housing schemes of LIC, State Governments and other Government agencies.
Where to apply for the PIO CardApplications for the PIO card should be made to an Indian Mission in the country where the applicant ordinarily resides.
Validity of PIO CardThe validity of PIO card is 15 years subject to the validity of the passport.
Note:The PIO Card will be valid only when accompanied with a valid passport.
Visit also: www.indianembassy.nl